March is Women’s History Month, which is a perfect time to highlight women who are making waves in music. There are some great women artists in all genres of the music industry right now. Here are a few of their songs currently on my playlist, complete with hyperlinks so you can give them a spin:
- A Life That’s Good – Point of Grace
- Point of Grace’s upbeat, feel good, country cover of a song originally performed by Maisy and Lennon on the TV show Nashville and written by county musicians Ashley Monroe and Sarah Siskind. This song is an anthem for appreciating the simple things in life.
- My Church – Maren Morris
- From one of the new female voices in country music, My Church is a turn-up-the-radio, roll-down-the-windows kinda tune.
- Send My Love (To Your New Lover) – Adele
- Adele being snarky. Enough said.
- Don’t Wanna Fight – Alabama Shakes
- Blues and southern rock had a child, they named it Alabama Shakes. Don’t Wanna Fight is full of raw emotion that leaves you coming back for more.
- Empty Heart – Grace Potter
- This song, off of Potter’s 2015 solo album without her band the Nocturnals, has a great rock beat combined with an uplifting choral backup at the end.
- Drove Me Wild – Tegan and Sara
- I cannot not wait for the new album from this Canadian twin duo to drop this summer. In the meantime, I’m still enjoying this 1980s inspired song from their 2013 album “Heartthrob”.
- Bury It – CHVRCHES
- Loving this song from this Irish band CHVRCHES and their female lead singer. They have an infectious electronic 1980s pop sound, and I can listen to their latest album “Every Open Eye” on continuous repeat.
- River – Bishop
- I keep hearing this song on Sirius Radio’s Alt Nation and I turn it up every time it comes on. Bishop has a sultry voice that just drips with swagger.
You can checkout albums from some of these great artists for free on hoopla.